Missing news posts again
Barry Dorrans
2003-10-20 15:20:24 UTC
Rob, the headers are there, the body is not
Rob Partington
2003-10-20 15:28:59 UTC
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:20:24 +0100,
Post by Barry Dorrans
Rob, the headers are there, the body is not
They will be now. Just a temporary glitch that's part of the work that
I'm doing with the clusters today. (See easynet.news.support for my post
from this morning, although I realise now that I should have cross-posted
it to here as well. My apologies for that.)
Barry Dorrans
2003-10-20 15:37:59 UTC
Post by Barry Dorrans
Rob, the headers are there, the body is not
They will be now. Just a temporary glitch that's part of the work
that I'm doing with the clusters today. (See easynet.news.support
for my post from this morning, although I realise now that I should
have cross-posted it to here as well. My apologies for that.)
Didn't realise that newsgroup existed.

Are we ever going to see the time out problem sorted BTW? No biggy, but
if you leave OE idle, it looks like it attempts to reconnect, then
probably hits another machine in the cluster and gets a weird error
(which escapes me right now)
Rob Partington
2003-10-20 16:11:12 UTC
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:37:59 +0100,
Post by Barry Dorrans
Didn't realise that newsgroup existed.
Ah, it does. I should post a FAQ or something.
What time out problem?
Barry Dorrans
2003-10-20 18:43:34 UTC
Post by Barry Dorrans
Are we ever going to see the time out problem sorted BTW?
What time out problem?
I'll try to log it next time it happens. It's just a weird error, no
other servers seem to give it
Barry Dorrans
2003-10-20 19:23:27 UTC
"The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server"

Configuration:
Account: easynet.co.uk
Server: auth.news.easynet.co.uk
User name: *cough*
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0f

Yea yea serves me right for using OE
Anthony Edwards
2003-10-20 22:10:55 UTC
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:23:27 +0100, Barry Dorrans
Post by Barry Dorrans
"The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server"
Account: easynet.co.uk
Server: auth.news.easynet.co.uk
User name: *cough*
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0f
Yea yea serves me right for using OE
Try:

---- begin telnet capture ----
***@omega:~> telnet news.easynet.co.uk 119
Trying 212.135.5.75...
Connected to news.easynet.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.easynet.co.uk NNRP - ***@easynet.net s.easynet.net (posting
ok)
group easynet.support
211 182 1483 1664 easynet.support
head 1664
221 1664 <3f945b97$0$4181$***@auth.uk.news.easynet.net> head
From: "Casey" <***@REMOVE.THIS.clouddog.co.uk>
Newsgroups: easynet.support
Subject: Remote Mail Server
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:02:49 +0100
.
quit
205 Transferred 887 bytes in 0 articles, 1 group. Disconnecting.
Connection closed by foreign host.
---- end telnet capture ----

If you telnet to the server on port 119, then play with the "group",
"head", "article", "next" and "last" commands (you'll soon figure out
what they do), that should give you a heads up as to whether it's a
client issue, or otherwise.

If using auth.news.*, you'll need (after making the initial TCP port 119
connection) the following:

authinfo user $USERNAME
authinfo pass $PASSWORD

as well.
--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester
***@uk.easynet.net
Barry Dorrans
2003-10-21 07:17:37 UTC
Post by Anthony Edwards
If using auth.news.*, you'll need (after making the initial TCP port
authinfo user $USERNAME
authinfo pass $PASSWORD
I am using auth news. What I *think* is happening, and this is a guess,
but I've seen it happen with http clusters, is there is a time out
somewhere, OE is trying to reconnect, but hitting a different server in
the cluster, sending a "what server are you then" and chocking, because
it's reconnect is not to where it is before.

But it's just a guess.
Rob Partington
2003-10-21 08:17:28 UTC
(moving this to easynet.news.support)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:17:37 +0100,
Post by Barry Dorrans
I am using auth news. What I *think* is happening, and this is a guess,
but I've seen it happen with http clusters, is there is a time out
somewhere, OE is trying to reconnect, but hitting a different server in
the cluster, sending a "what server are you then" and chocking, because
it's reconnect is not to where it is before.
That's a plausible guess, I suppose, but all the machines in the cluster
have the same welcome banner and there's no other way to see which machine
is which (unless you do something like check the number of articles in
a group and complain if they're different.)

Stupid of OE to do this since it's a load-balanced cluster and you have
no guarantee of which server you'll be talking to from connection to
connection, but never mind. If you can capture a tcpdump or ethereal dump
of when OE does its little trick, that'd be handy in figuring out what's
broken.